5 FRUITS THAT CAN ONLY BE FOUND IN AFRICA
Fruits to some extent are the most eaten foods in Africa. Africans snack on fruits, take them to quench hunger, eat fruit after meals and even before bed. Fruits hold dietary values like fibre, vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and the wondrous effect they have on the human body.
Fruits have also proven to be a great supplement for weight loss. They contain low calories which makes them a healthy choice for persons watching their weight.
Africans consume fruits that are indigenous to the continent as well as imported fruits. How well can you differentiate fruits that originate from Africa and those imported?
In this article, we shall discuss 5 fruits that can only be found in Africa.
Kindly tag along as we highlight these fruits and some health benefits.
5. African Mango
African Mangoes or Bush mangoes originate from Cameroon. It naturally grows in humid areas and is thus popular in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo, Angola, Nigeria, and Cote d’Ivoire. However, Ghanaians, Southern Cameroonians, and Togolese also grow the fruit.
Because it is one of the fruits that can only be found in Africa, it is quite popular, common, and loved all over the continent. But mostly, people take it for its health benefits.
- It effectively treats obesity. People looking to lose weight can use African Mangoes for efficient results.
- It treats diabetes.
- The bark, kernels, leaves, or roots is great for Ethnomedicinal treatments and other varieties of treatments.
- It is commonly used in antimicrobial drugs.
The fruit is also processed into wine, jelly, jam, and even juice.
4. Baobab Fruits
Baobab Fruits originate from Africa and are currently being grown in 32 African countries. However, it contributes to the rich fruit heritage of Madagascans, Australians, and Arabians.
In most parts of West Africa, the fruit found in a hard shell is crushed open and the fruit is soaked in water. Sugar and flavour are then added to the distilled juice to give it a taste. This juice is then stored in the fridge and sold when need be.
Parents do not mind their wards drinking the baobab juice or taking the fruits because it contains vitamin c, tartaric acid, magnesium, potassium, carbohydrates, phosphorus, fibre, and essential minerals that boost the immune system.
- The leaves can be digested because it is rich in calcium and high-quality proteins.
- The seed kernels are loaded with micronutrients, fibre, and fat.
- In countries where the baobab fruit isn’t quite popular, most people use the baobab seed powder for meals for nutritional values and food preservation.
- Consuming baobab Fruits gives a feeling of fullness hence aids in weight loss. Using it for smoothies isn’t a bad choice.
- It also helps to balance sugar levels.
- Its containment of polyphenol may reduce inflammation.
- Its high fibre promotes digestive health.
These points prove that the addition of baobab Fruits to your daily meals is great for your health.
Initially, Banana was one of the fruits that can only be found in Africa. But its sweetness and health benefits have made it popular around the globe.
Depending on the regions in which it was grown, bananas can be big, long, and curved. They are usually grown in Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Cameroon, and Nigeria that have recently started to produce in very large quantities.
- Bananas contain nutrients like Magnesium, potassium, protein, vitamins, fibre, and so on.
- Nutrients in bananas moderate blood sugar levels. However, type 2 diabetic patients are advised to avoid eating ripe bananas.
- Bananas enhance digestive health.
- Bananas are weight-loss-friendly fruits. Eating bananas excessively promotes a low body weight.
- Nutrients in bananas are essential to great heart health.
- Bananas are high in antioxidants that reduce the risk of certain diseases.
2. Kei Apple
Kei apples originate from South Africa and are one of the fruits that can only be found in Africa. It seems however that not many other countries have adopted the culture of growing Kei/Kai/Kau Apples.
Africans however love eating this apple when it is processed into jam. It is also transported to other countries.
- The fruit and its thorn are used to cure amenorrhea.
- It is also used to treat severe chest pains traditionally.
- Zulus use Kei apples to treat pains associated with rheumatic fever and rheumatism.
- Kei apples are rich in vitamin c and amino acids.
- The fruit also contains 15 unique antioxidants and has antibiotic properties.
In olden times, Miracle berries were an alternative to sugar. While drinking a warm bowl of porridge, a miracle berry could be sucked on once in a while to sweeten the food. It is the fruit everyone eats before taking anything bitter or sour.
Miracle berries taste so sweet because of a glycoprotein that is found in the fruit called Miraculin.
Because of its taste modifying effect, it is popularly grown in West Africa.
- Miracle berries treat diabetes. It seems that it being an alternative to sugar helps a diabetic patient.
- It is a great cure for issues relating to chemotherapy-related taste disturbances and also, Ageusia.
- Miracle berries contain vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K. Vitamin C which stimulates white blood cell production.
- It has a High Concentration of Flavonoids.
- Studies show that miracle berries contain Anti-Colon Cancer Attributes.
- It Reduces Insulin Resistance in diabetic patients.
Miracle berry is one of the fruits that can only be found in Africa.
Africa may be said to have a wide variety of fruits originating from its culturally rich continent. It also seems that in the absence of modern medication, Africans can fall on these fruits for health treatments.
Now that you have also been educated on these 5 fruits that can only be found in Africa, do yourself a favour by eating them regularly for their health benefits.
Thank you for reading and kindly share with friends and family.
If you are interested in positive African stories projecting the continent, then please click here to join our WhatsApp group now.
Download our apps now for easier access to recent news and articles!